Sunday, November 2, 2008

Of "laid back" drivers!

I had to take a cab back home from school this morning cos hubby has the exclusive use of the car today courtesy the driver being on leave! I could, of course, have walked, but my feet have been killing me after all the walking, dancing and standing that I have subjected them to the last one week.

I am very intrigued with the way Egyptian drivers drive their cars. They recline back, halfway house to lying down. The rare occassions that I do take a cab, I can never sit behind the driver's seat cos its like having the cab driver in my lap, lol!

Now I am reasonably tall and probably the same height as the average Egyptian. Plus I definitely do not qualify for size 0, in fact far from it! I drive with the seat's back rest pretty much straight, so that I can see the road bumps clearly, and, I feel in control of the car.

Even with my driver, I have to tell him to pull his seat to the front and raise the backrest before we can get in behind him. And this is not specific to my driver. All cab drivers or even hired limo drivers, drive with their seats pushed back, and, the back rest almost at a 45 degree angle. I don't know but I find it really difficult and uncomfortable to drive, not to mention that reclining back, I am tempted to doze off!

Am trying to figure out how they manage to drive, but for now it remains an unsolved mystery!

1 comment:

Connie said...

I thought you were going to talk about the prevalence of drivers snoozing in their cars when waiting. I passed a car to day with two bare feet peeking up through the windsheild... looked past and saw the whole driver very comfortably crashed out from front to back - windows open to enjoy the morning breeze - snoozing away. So completely peaceful! "Sleeping like a driver in the shade" can possible compete with "snoozing like a cat in a sunny spot". Made me want to go home and nap!