Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What's in a name?

I buy flowers regularly from the florist in front of Maadi Grand Mall, but these are usually rushed trips. Today, caught in the pre-Iftaar, get-home-quicky traffic jam just in front of the florist, I finally noticed the name board, and, I must admit I was stumped.

The name of the florist is Flowers Blouse. Now I have seen many things which are funny simply because they are misspelt, and, while they make me smile, I can appreciate the fact that English is a foreign language so the attempt is a commendable one, but Flower Blouse?

Flowers and blouse? Is there a related French word? Dont know! I have tried very hard, but am completely unable to understand the genesis of this one! Till I do, a heartfelt thanks to the florist for bringing a smile to my face while I braved the afternoon traffic jam!

1 comment:

Connie said...

Ok, I'm going to have to look for that! When my hubby and I see an unusual use of English, we often joke that 'there must have been a sale on (whatever)'. So, they were all out of 'H's, but had a good deal on the 'Bl's ;-)