Monday, September 8, 2008

Ramadan

Shops close early, offices get over in the afternoon, its impossible to get anywhere in a hurry at around 2-3 p.m. in the afternoon, the city is alive and partying into the wee hours of the night, supermarkets run out of things, the price of meat and chicken goes up....sounds familiar?

Yup, Ramadan is here and Cairo is ready for a month long party! There is a sense of excitement and activity in the air which is hard to miss....

Decided to try and fast this Ramadan - nothing religious - just wanted to see if I could do it, though I have fluids....and then of course attend the numerous Iftaar parties which are de rigueur for this time of the year...

After fasting for a week and attending Iftaars and having terrific, albiet rich food, I am left wondering how the Egyptians do this for the whole month? My stomach is already protesting the old fashioned way!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you a Moslem, is that why you are fasting? If yes, is it permitted to fast and take fluids? I thought it had to be without food or any liquid? Do you have a choice of whether to fast or not?

Manisha said...

Hi Stephanie, no I am not a Muslim.

I am fasting just to see if I have the will power! SO I can happily have water or other fluids!

On whether religion allows this, as I ma not a Muslim, I dont know. But yes, I do have Muslim friends who are not fasting. Plus I see construction workers sometimes have water during Ramadan cos its hot and they are doing hard physical labour...

So while I am not qualified to really give an answer, hope this helps...