Thursday, July 17, 2008

Getting used to Syrian currency

The currency of Syria is the Syrian Pound (SP) and its about 48 SPs to a USD...as a result everything is priced in the hundreds, like the old Italian Lira and it takes some getting used to!

As we set off from Aleppo and stopped at a convinience store to buy some watera nd a few snacks. I must warn you, its better to stop and buy your supplies at a regular supermarket, cos the convinience store will overcharge.

2 pineapple juices, 3 small boxes of Pringles and 1 ice tea cost us 800 SPs. Compare this with a lavish meal at the Sheraton Aleppo, which with 3 starters, 3 drinks, and, 3 main courses cost us 2000 SPs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean! Reminded me of my trip to Rome many years ago. I remember being shocked at things costing 10,000 lira & more till I realised the value in dollar terms!